Sunday, November 10, 2013

A Little Self Drafting...

The hubby and I are going away on vacation soon and of course I needed something special to wear for a dinner outing! I also wanted something that wouldn't take a lot of time since I've been working a lot lately and don't have much "personal time" anymore! This time of the year is very, very busy at work! So I opted to draft something really quick that I've made before, just using different textiles. I wanted a "two-piece" dress so I could use each piece with other garments for multiple ensemble options.  I decided to make a peplum top and skirt which are both very easy pieces to make without a pattern.

I chose two fabrics I already had in my stash that were just waiting on a project like this. One is a black stretch fabric with beautiful little shiny black threads that almost look like little shiny feathers all over the fabric...


I also used a black faux leather I had in my stash as well.  Both fabrics I believe were purchased at JoAnn Fabrics a while back.  This two piece dress took me approximately 3 hours to make.  All I did was lay another peplum top I own on the fabric and cut around it!   For the skirt, I pinned the fabric on "Ms. Thing" (my dressform) until I got he fit I wanted (a pencil skirt), sewed up the side seams and added elastic, hemmed it and that's it!  Easy peasy!

 
     


I really like the "festive" look of this cute little number!  The fabric has a nice amount of stretch and almost feels like a very light weight Ponte.  This made for a very comfortable dress!  Now my hubby looked at this and said..."Wow that's pretty babe, but I think a leather shirt would be cute too"!  That's how the faux leather came into play...I had some in my stash that was perfect for this use!  So I drafted another skirt, this one only took a couple of hours too.  I added a side lapped zipper and guess what...the hubby was absolutely correct!  This option is just as nice with a different twist!


     

Please excuse the "wacky" arrangement of my photos, I'm using Google Docs software on my IPad and it changed considerable after the most recent Apple software update!  I think I'll be looking for another blog editing App soon!  If you know a good one, I would really appreciate your comments.

I love these three pieces and they will work very well with other pieces too!  This is my first "faux leather" skirt and I really like it!  I see a few more in my future!

By the way, I don't know if you noticed, but I joined "The Wrap Dress Project".  I'm definitely going to try and get at least one wrap dress done before it ends!  

HAPPY SEWING!!





24 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great self-draft. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO nice! I love both pieces and that fabric is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really like this fabric too!

      Delete
  3. Myra, absolutely gorgeous, lady! I love it with both skirt options.
    Have fun on your trip! The big fundraiser time-sucker is OVER so let's get together ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrea! Absolutely, as soon as I return! I'll give you a call! Hope your fundraiser was a success

      Delete
  4. I love your choice, Myra. Both pieces were niece! I hope you'll enjoy your vacation with your husband. -www.thecadcompany.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a wonderful little cocktail dress - even if you're not planning on having a cocktail. It could have clearly been a winner on last week's PR challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye! I guess I missed that challenge, what a bummer!

      Delete
    2. I was referring to Project Runway's Weekly challenge.

      Delete
    3. You're funny! I have a VERY LONG way to go before even thinking about being on that show... But thanks for the vote of confidence!

      Delete
  6. Myra, both skirts look great with the top! You did a great job and I really like the "sparkly" fabric. Will be nice for the upcoming Christmas holidays as well. Enjoy the vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! This sparkly fabric is really nice and I am sure I will get many chances to wear it!

      Delete
  7. Myra, this looks so good! I love both skirts, but I love the leather skirt with the top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Candice! I think I will be wearing the leather skirt for a little less formal look.

      Delete
  8. Great choice and I love the leather skirt too, your hubby was on point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toy! I trust his judgement, after 35 years of marriage, I think he better know me pretty good!

      Delete
  9. All three pieces are very nice and your drafting these pieces provided for perfect fit! Lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love what you've made, especially that sparkly fabric for the top!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely outfit and it just scream
    ready to dance the night away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Sheila! I did get a little dancing in too!

      Delete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email