Thursday, February 28, 2013

Faux Leather Jacket

Simplicity 5738 is an older pattern with a great classic fit!  Just perfect for some fabric I had sitting in my stash for almost a year!  The Fearless February Challenge at Victoria's Ten Thousand Sewing Hours blog, was the perfect time to pull these two together!


Photo  

Yep that's Faux Leather I purchased from Joann Fabrics a while ago.  It has a very nice "aged" look!  It's been sitting in my stash for some time because I was so "Fearful" of cutting into it!  Then along came the "Fearless February" challenge and off the shelf jumped the fabric!

I don't know why I was so afraid of this fabric, it is so wonderful to work with!  It even presses nicely too!  Because I was on vacation with my grandchildren, (more on that later), I didn't get to start this challenge project until Sunday nite and was rushing (and praying not to make a mistake!) to complete it before the end of the month!  This is how my jacket looked by the time I went to bed Sunday night...



Not good!  But this is a challenge and that's just what I did, challenged myself in a BIG way!  So every extra minute I had for the next few days was spent on this jacket.  I had some really pretty (but wild) fabric in my stash I thought would be perfect for the lining.  I don't know about you, but I love it when you open a jacket an get a nice surprise pop of color or design.  How about this one for a lining?....

  
Sorry about the bad phone photos!

Perfect, don't you think?  All in all, this was a great pattern to use for this project.  It went together very quickly, I didn't have to do but two changes.  That was to create the lining (it wasn't included in the pattern) and my second fear, bound buttonholes! (this was my first time making them!) 


  

I made a size 12 straight from the envelope with no alterations.  As you all read earlier, it took me a few days to complete because I mostly worked on it before and after work whenever I had a moment!  I've had this pattern for some time and don't know if it's still in print (I don't think so).  If you have it in your stash, I give it a "Two Thumbs Up!). It may not be a good choice for a beginner, but it's definitely an easy one for an experienced sewer!  I would like to have a few of these jackets in different colors and fabrics ready to grab on those cooler days in Florida!  

  


I love this jacket!  Thank you Victoria for the Fearless February challenge!

On another note...
I know I'd been away for a while and was vacationing with my oldest son and our grandkids.  We decided to take them all on their first cruise...it was a short 5 day to the Bahamas.  We were afraid that our grandson who's the youngest (he's 9) would not want to get on the ship because he's so scary!  That was not the case...actually it was the exact opposite, they didn't want to get off the ship!  This is where he (Taj) stayed most of the time...on the top deck water slide!.....


That's my baby! (Actually his Dad is my real baby!).   Here's our oldest son and our granddaughter with Dad (my hubby) doing what we all basically did on the ship...watch Taj on the water slide!


Still no swimsuit on this trip either! LOL!

This is the best time for me, because I don't get time with my family as often as I would like because of the distance between us (they're in a different state). However, we made up for that the best we can and I am so looking forward to the next time we get together!


The beautiful woman and "adorable" little lady in pink, are our son's girlfriend and daughter, they joined us on the great cruise!

Thank you for your continued support by reading my posts!  Thanks again Victoria for a great challenge and a wonderful way for me to end the month of February! On to the next project...

HAPPY SEWING!

50 comments:

  1. That jacket is so great. You definitely conquered those fears! Love the lining too. I'm sure you hear this all the time but you do not look old enough to have grandkids. You looked great on your cruise. Here's to being a hot grandma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Miss Lulu! What a very sweet thing to say!

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous jacket. I love the lining!!! You must have some wonderful treasures buried in your stash. Can't wait to see your next project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela! I sure wish I had more of a stash than I have. Mine is no where near as large as some other sewers!

      Delete
  3. Myra your jacket is fantastic!!!! The faux leather is great. You always make putting things together look SO easy!!! BTW, you have a lovely family too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms Victoria! It was your challenge that pushed me in the right direction!

      Delete
  4. What a great jacket. I love the distressed look of the faux leather. And your bound buttonhole is perfect! What a versitile piece for your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your jacket is fantastic and the family portrait is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a GREAT jacket. I may have to get some of that faux leather the next time I go to JoAnn's...don't know that I've seen that before. I love the distressed look of it. You have a great looking family and looks like you all know how to chill! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should check JoAnns...I was in there the other day to purchase some interfacing and saw that they still had some. It must be popular that they keep bringing it back. Good luck!

      Delete
  7. Girl, you better WORK! That jacket is fierce!!!!

    Sorry about the drag references. Been watching too much LOGO....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, I love having something that's referenced as "fierce"! Thank you!

      Delete
  8. What an AWESOME jacket Myra, simply amazing! Lovely photos of your family as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is wonderful Myra! And the bound buttonhold - amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. AWESOME Jacket. ... absolutely love it. Grest job. Such a beautiful family and glad everyone had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwww Suuuki Suuuuki NA!!!!! LUV IT!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Myra, I LOOOOOOOOOOVE this jacket, and it looks so good on you!! What a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Myra, perfect timing to make this beautiful jacket, since it will be chilly this weekend. Great lining choice.
    Your family is beautiful, and you are looking fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! I definitely plan on wearing it this weekend too, starting tomorrow

      Delete
  14. Myra, I think this is my most favorite thing I have ever seen you make on your blog!!!!! It is fabulous beyond words! The distressed look of the jacket, the perfect fit, the complementary shade--I want multiple jackets like this one too. ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! It turned out far better than I thought it would too!

      Delete
  15. I already said this on PR, but your jacket is to die for! Love it! And as has been noted, fabulous looking family. Glad you got a chance to spend time with them and have some fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am really in love with that jacket...gotta try it...beautiful job on the bound button hole! Question: Did you do anything different as far as the interfacing is concerned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alethia! No, I used a medium weight fusible interfacing and it worked like a dream!

      Delete
  17. The jacket is beautiful, Myra. What wonderful work you did on the bound buttonhole! It looks like you had a fantastic time an the cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow Myra, What a beautiful jacket! Your bound buttonhole turned out brilliantly. Love the family photos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thats a fabulous looking Jacket! You look good in it! seem you had alovely time with your family,lovely pictures!

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The blazer is absolutely fabulous, and the lining works beautifully - and it suits you very well - and the bound buttonhole makes the jacket. Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow the jacket is spectacular, it looks impeccably made.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's an amazing jacket, Myra - not to mention a good looking family!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Myra, you created an impeccable and sensational looking jacket. Your work is SEW impressive and you are one stylish mama/grandma! I enjoyed a glimpse of your beautiful and loving family. You are blessed. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your jacket! It fits you very well and you did a great job on the bound buttonhole. You certainly do not look like you have grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous Jacket. That fabric makes is really unique. Looks like everyone had great fun on the cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That jacket is fabulous! It looks very well tailored and the fabric looks like real leather. You have a lovely family. I was quite surprised to read your youngest grandson is already 9, if you would have said he was your son I would have believed it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great jacket Myra. Looks like you had a wonderful vacation also.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Myra, what a fantastic jacket! Just looks great! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email