Monday, September 3, 2012

A New Top and Lunch...

I spotted this beautiful black chiffon fabric with a tropical border at Hancock Fabrics and fell in love!  Now the trick was going to be what to make out of it.  But I had an idea...I've seen other women wearing these gorgeous flowing tops, most are in solid colors with the high low hemlines.  Perfect for this fabric and I had the best pattern too!  Butterick 5786...



With a few of my purely design changes, I think it might work!  So off I went...the first change was to make a yoke in the back.  I wanted this because it would create the extra "flow and fullness" I was looking for.  I did it by folding the back pattern piece down from the shoulders and creating a separate pattern piece for the yoke.


Next I needed to give it some fullness, so I moved the pattern back about 2" (which would give me about 4" of extra fabric to gather) and cut both pieces out....


I also lengthened the front just a bit for modesty purposes only.  This worked like a charm and gave me exactly what I wanted....

    


I really like the results!  The instructions were very easy to follow, you really didn't need  them it was so easy.  The only alterations were the ones I mentioned above and I omitted the bust dart. (with the extra fullness I added, it wasn't needed).  All in all, it makes a nice addition to my wardrobe!

    

    

On another note,  I met a friend and fellow sewing blogger for lunch, Andrea from Satin Bird Designs.  It's always an inspiration to get together with friends and talk "shop", if you know what I mean!  Andrea is such a great inspiration for me and just a really neat, fun individual to be around!  Thanks Andrea for a great get away, looking forward to our next adventure!




14 comments:

  1. Myra, I love the blouse on you! Such a pretty fabric, and great use of the border print. Talk about inspiring, lady!

    I am looking forward to our next lunch date, too. Fabric shopping next time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a great use of a unique fabric, looks very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you chose to place the fabric design on the pattern. It looks very chic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this shirt is my next project in chiffon too. Going to follow your alterations for a yoke. I wanted a double layer of fabric there so should work well. Great shirt and great material!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I love this blouse/top! Beautiful fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous fabric! I would never have guessed that came from Hancock's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Myra I love your top!, and isn't it wonderful to have sewing friends???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the blouse it is very beautiful. Hreat work Myra!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your top, it fits you very well...your work paid off. AND don't you just LOVE chiffon! Nice work Myra!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful blouse and love the border. Isn't it great to meet up with sewing friends.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this worked out so well, I love the fabric and the design of the top, very classy, you look great

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I missed this top. How pretty, and what a perfect way to use your border print fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Myra, the faux suede skirts will be dry cleaned.

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email