Monday, February 1, 2016

My First Moto Jacket

Hello everyone and happy February 1! Can you believe one month of the new year has already gone by? Where has that time gone!

Before I went on vacation couple of weeks ago, I had started a project that I never completed. It was a Moto jacket using the Butterick pattern, Lisette B6169.

The Moto jacket has been on trend for sometime now. Actually, I like the style very much and decided to try my luck and make my own instead of purchasing one. There are so many different types of styles in Moto jackets that it would be so easy to find one you absolutely love!

Fabric on top

I used two different fabrics to create this jacket. The contrast front fabric was purchased from Pennie fabrics in 2014. It looks like an alligator style leather but is actually a black faux fur with a flat nap. It's truly a unique fabric (and one of the reasons why I absolutely love Pennie fabrics!).

The remainder of the jacket (back and sleeves), is a black faux suede and was purchased at Hancock Fabrics a couple of months ago. The lining was also purchased at Hancock Fabrics and is a bright red nylon/polyester (lining color at the suggestion of my husband!) for a pop of color!

The Lisette pattern was very easy to sew, very well illustrated and the instructions were good.

However, I did notice a slight mishap on page 2, step 5 of the instructions. It instructs you to place the separated zipper "Face down" on the left front. If you do this, the zipper will be facing in the wrong direction. I didn't see any of the other pattern reviewers mention this and I believe it's because experienced sewers really do their own thing and a lot of times don't follow the instructions. But for all those beginners who are following the instructions word by word, I felt this would be important for you to know.

Also, the pattern does run a slight bit large. I realized that after doing a pattern tissue fitting and good I did! I also did my own thing when it came to the jacket details...first by changing the pattern slightly and adding zippered pockets rather than the included welt pockets. I also included zippers on the back of the sleeves as well as decorative snaps on the lapels.

I really love this jacket and my only issues while creating it were...1. Trying to figure out how to install the zippered pockets. I wanted to make sure these were actually working pockets! And 2. The pattern calls for 1/4" shoulder pads, but all I had on hand were 1/2" at the time. I really didn't think it would make that much of a difference to me...however, yes it did! (Just a comfort issue, you don't really notice it). Next time I will add the 1/4" shoulder pads for sure! And there will definitely be a next time for this lovely jacket!

Hanging out with the hubby!

I would HIGHLY recommend this pattern if you like the style! It's been reviewed favorably many times on! For a lined jacket, it didn't take very long to make and is so stylish in my opinion.

How about you like the Moto jacket style? Do you own one? If so, did you create it yourself?

Thanks again for stopping by and spending a little of your day with me! It's truly appreciated more than you'll ever know! Now...



Monday, January 18, 2016

Formal Dress for Cruise

Hello everyone, I know it's been a busy time with lots of different projects started for the new year! Some of you in the Sewing community have a great start to your 2016 sewing goals! It's really exciting to see all the different projects, contest and challenges already starting! Good luck to you all...I'll be checking in and hopefully joining some too!

On my sewing front, I self drafted a beautiful two-piece dress. It was intended for formal night on my cruise. Luckily I finished it in time, but unfortunately, did not have time to post before I went on vacation, so sorry! I just returned from vacation and want to share it with you all now.

The fabric is a red and black animal print stretch woven. The red has a very high sheen that almost mimics satin. I purchased this fabric at my favorite local fabric store, Pennie Fabrics (in Sarasota, FL).

The bodice portion of the top was easy to draft using Miss Thing (my dress form). I love the "cut in" style of the sleeve openings and have several other tops made in this manner. The peplum was made by draping the fabric around Miss Thing, pinning and cutting the fabric on the angle I wanted.

Since the top is so fitted, I decided to have an exposed separating zipper in the back. This worked out beautifully.

I made a simple pencil skirt to complete the look...

I really love how it turned out and unfortunately, because we were having so much fun, I don't have many photos of me wearing it on the cruise (oh by the way, we went to Jamaica and Haiti)...

LOL, my friend and I did not coordinate colors!

We had a blast and I am so looking forward to my very next vacation already!!!

Thanks for stopping by and sharing a little of your time with me! Now I have to go finish reading some of your blog posts and get ready for my next project!

Let's Go Sew!



Related Posts with Thumbnails

Follow by Email